Drinking water does more than just quench your thirst, it is a vital and essential part to maintain bodily function from the respiratory system to the excretion system. Our body is made up of 60% of water and on average, we lose about 12 cups of water through breathing, perspiring, urine, and bowel movements. These are just some of the ways water supports the human body:
- Nutrient transportation: Water allows blood circulation, which transports nutrients to your cells and removes waste from them.
- Thermoregulation: Due to water’s large heat capacity, it limits changes in body temperature in both warm and cold environments.
- Body lubrication: Water helps lubricate joints and is an essential element of your body’s lubricating fluids, including saliva and gastric, intestinal, respiratory, and urinary mucous.
- Shock absorbency: Water acts as a shock absorber, protecting your organs and tissues by helping maintain cellular shape
Without a doubt, water is an essential and vital nutrient meaning that your body cannot produce enough of it through metabolism to meet its daily needs
Although drinking water is vital for different processes that take place in your body in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, drinking a glass of water in the morning can have wondrous properties on your health and motivation. These are the top 6 reasons to drink water each morning.
Boosting Mood and Productivity
A study conducted in 2014 illustrated that people who increased their water intake had better moods throughout the day. The same research found that when individuals — who normally drank high volumes of water — decreased their water intake, they experienced more thirst, decreased contentedness, and a reduction in calmness and positive emotions. The study summarizes that dehydration has a direct correspondence to a negative mood whereas rehydration can result in an improved mood and even, less fatigue.
Better Brain Function
Water can have an impact on cognition and mental performance — even minor dehydration can have adverse effects on cognition according to MedicalNewsToday. A study conducted on college students in China suggested that dehydration had negative effects on short-term memory and attention. Short-term memory and attention improved once the participants rehydrated again.
Research shows that mild dehydration corresponding to 1–2% of body weight can negatively affect alertness, concentration, short-term memory, and physical performance
Therefore, if a person wishes to increase their mental performance, specifically in the morning, drinking water may help as various research articles indicate a trend of improved mental performance.
Aids in Weightloss
A study from 2010 found that middle-aged and older adults lost more weight when they drank 500 milliliters (ml) of water before each meal over 12 weeks. Science has linked a scientific process to how water impacts weight loss.
- Thermoregulation: Thermogenesis is the production of heat. When a person drinks cold water, thermogenesis occurs to warm up the water entering the body, which burns calories. A study involving the water intake of 50 girls before breakfast, lunch, and dinner found that their body weight had decreased after they increased their water intake to 500 ml, three times a day, for 8 weeks. Studies show that water-induced thermogenesis has the potential to increase the body’s metabolic rate by 24–30% in adults, and the effect lasts about 60 minutes.
Additionally, evidence suggests that high water consumption helps reduce your daily calorie intake, as it increases your feelings of fullness. A research article published on PubMed found that drinking water before breakfast reduced calorie intake at the next meal by 13%.
Skin Benefits Too
Many believe that increasing water intake in the morning can improve the appearance and health of the skin. The skin contains about 30% of water, which helps the skin remain plump, improving its elasticity and resilience. An article published by the Wiley Online Library found that increasing water intake may improve the hydration of the outer layer of the skin!
Eliminates Toxins From the Body and Perform Other Functions
Water is essential to flush out toxins from your body. Your kidneys are the primary regulators of fluid balance, and they do require water to eliminate waste from your bloodstream.
The list goes on and on regarding the benefits including having a functioning urinary tract. Drinking water in the morning can prevent urolithiasis, which occurs when stones are present in the urinary tract. Additionally, water is a component of the lubricating fluid around the joints, which could help relieve joint pain.
Water is the main source of bodily function, without it, many complications and challenges may arise. Starting off your day with a glass of water is essential to lead a healthy lifestyle but can also help you get a sense of fulfillment. Sometimes simple steps, like staying hydrated can play a huge role in your health!
Blog Image Credit: Canva photos
Written by Remya Parvathy